The Origins of the Yellow Buses

The Beginings of Public Transport

Public Transport first began four years after the founding of the Town. In 1840 a stage coach called "Emerald" passed through the town each weekday on its journey between Southampton and Weymouth.

The Railway reached Bournemouth in 1870.

At the turn of the last century, Bournemouth, like many other proud Edwardian towns found that its Public Transport systems were becoming increasingly important. The modern and progressive borough needed a effiecient and working system, but the system had to be right.

The system of choice at the time was a Tramway, but originally the great leaders of the town were opposed to this, feeling it was unsuitable for a town like Bournemouth. However in 1900 they were reluctantly forced into action. The British Electric Traction Company LTD promoted a Bill for a line from Purewell via Southbourne, and originally as a blocking measure the Bournemouth Corporation promoted their own Bill to Parliament with their own differnent scheme.

After many problems the Corporation lines in Christchurch Road between Landsdowne and Parkwood Road, together with a connecting line to the Central Depot along Palmerston Road and Church Road opened on the 23rd July 1902.

This day was the foundation of Bournemouth Corporation Transport, and what eventually became famous as Bournemouth's YELLOW BUSES.

The original livery was predominatley primrose yellow with maroon, but over the years there have been many changes, the biggest of all being in 1973 when blue replaced the maroon. Green has also been used through the years for lining etc.